BRADFORD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
2022-2023 BUS RULES
For further information, please contact Butler’s Bus Service at 603-787-6925. Listed below is a brief statement regarding rules for the transportation of students followed by the bus routes. The daily transportation of the area students is a privilege accorded by the school system and complies with statutory requirements regarding such transportation. To provide maximum safety, each eligible student riding the school bus shall conform to the regulations as
1. Not occupy any position that would interfere with the bus driver’s vision.
2. Remain seated at all times when the bus is in motion.
3. Not place bundles, books etc., in the aisles or step well or in front of the emergency door of the bus. Any parcel a student brings on the bus must fit in their lap and cannot be higher than the back of the seat facing the student.
4. Follow the same standards of conduct and courtesy that are expected in the classroom or as prevail for the school system.
Students must have permission to ride another bus. A “pass” must be given by an authorized person before a student can ride on another bus.
Students who ride the bus home must have an adult or responsible student, in 4th grade or up, to meet them at the bus. If no one is there to meet the student, they will be returned to BES. We’ll call the Bradford Police Department for students not picked up by 3:45.
2023-2024 BUS ROUTES
Route #4: Bus starts at South Road at 6:50 a.m. then proceeds west on South Road to 4882 South Road at 7:12 turns around then to Branch Road. Turns left onto Rowell Brook then left onto Cross Road at 7:22 proceeds back to South Road east at the junction and continues down South Road, Kidder Road to High Street & along North Pleasant Street at 7:37 then proceeding to Oxbow High School to Bradford Elementary School for 7:45. PM only: Bus turns left at Rowell Brook Road off South Road, stops at Cross Road and continues down Rowell Brook Road to Route 25.
Route #5: COMBINED WITH BUS 8! Bus starts at 6:55 a.m. at the Salomaa Residence. Turn Left on to Flanders Brook Road. Right on Fulton Road Right on Wrights Mtn Road. Left on 25. Stop at end of Kenyon Road 7:20, then continue on Rt 25. Take left onto Route 25B at 7:25 picking up at Appleton Street, Water Box and White Apartments, proceed to Oxbow High School to Bradford Elementary School at 7:45.
Route #6: Bus starts at 7:15 a.m. at the Bradford Elementary School, proceeds north on Fairground Road at intersection veer left around corner, becomes Goshen Road East. Turn around at T past Old Goshen Church 7:22. Take Goshen back down to Summer Street turns onto Bank Street picking up from Subway 7:35, to Railroad Street. Proceeds to Oxbow High School to Bradford Elementary School at 7:45.
Route #7: Bus starts at Colonial Village 6:55am, to Cobblestone Alley 6:56am, Martin's Quary Road 7am, S Old Mill Road, Plateau Acres, Round about 7:04 & 7:05, S onto 25 Saddleback Road, S onto 5 right onto Lake Morey Road, Sand Hill Road 7:10, down Lake Morey next house, stop at the next road and turn around, white house with barn before Route 5, Right onto Route 5, first place on the right 7:14am, house 1842 @ 7:16pm, turnaround at the propane tank, wooden fence before Bradford apartments, Bradford apartments 7:17am, next house right after, turn around at Farmway and stop at the Whistlestop way, drive way just before O’Reilly, Bradford Village apartments, Blue Spruce Road, West Birch Street, Turnaround and stop at the house at 41 Birch Street, South on Route 5, stop at 613, proceed to Oxbow High School to Bradford Elementary School at 7:36.
When weather impacts driving, and there may be delays or closures for our school. We want to get students to school safely, which means that sometimes roads need to be prepared for bus travel.
The process to make the decision for a delay or closure goes like this:
- Our contracted bus company, a private entity, communicates with the town road commissioners about the state of the roads and the time it will take to make the roads safe. Roads may be considered passable but not necessarily safe for bus travel.
- The bus company advises our superintendent on the safety of the roads for bus travel.
- The superintendent makes the decision to delay or close, and sends out a communication to all staff and families. Communication will be through phone, text and email - based on what information families provided our front office. Information is also sent to WCAX, and can be found online.
A few things to consider:
- BES shares bus runs with OHS. These buses pick up students in Newbury, so Newbury roads impact BES buses.
- There can be a real difference in conditions between main roads and back roads, and even between back roads depending on elevation, air temperature, and previous road traffic.
Above all, please remember:
If there's a delay at BES, students cannot be dropped off at school early, even if your road is safe to drive on. There are no available staff on duty to supervise children. Dropping students off early and unsupervised is a safety hazard.